Leitrim Development Company works closely with the Department of Rural and Community Development, Fáilte Ireland and many other stakeholders in developing and supporting rural recreation. The Rural Recreation Officer (RRO) will coordinate and oversee the development, management and enhancement of recreational and walking infrastructure within County Leitrim. The RRO will have a key role in the marketing and promotion of walking / recreation and trails in the area and assist local communities developing new routes and recreational infrastructure as agreed by Leitrim Development Company and Leitrim Recreation Forum. The RRO will lead the implementation of the Walks Scheme on the Leitrim Way and other key trails within Leitrim. This work will require ongoing engagement and liaising with the trail management groups, landowners, communities and other stakeholders as well as the management of maintenance plans, conducting trail inspections and the administration of recreation programme claims, materials and funding. The Walks Scheme provides funds for farmers /private landowners for maintenance services on approved walking trails on their properties. The person will also support the Leitrim Recreation Forum and it working groups in the implementation of the Leitrim recreation strategy.
Reporting to: The Head of Strategy
Location: Based in LDC offices Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim covering County Leitrim. Related travel requires a car owner with clean driving license.
Position: Fulltime 9am-5pm specified purpose annual renewable contract
- Experience and relevant third level qualification in rural/community development or tourism/recreation.
- Knowledge of and interest in countryside recreation and trails and/or trail development
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and a knowledge of farming and rural issues /concerns.
- Experience of working in community organisations in a professional and /or voluntary capacity.
- Experience and knowledge of project and financial administration, recording and reporting on expenditure, purchasing etc. and maintaining records / accounts, etc.
- Ability to work effectively with a number of stakeholder organisations, and capable of fostering working relationships with multi agencies/communities to achieve a common objective
- Ability to work on his/her own initiative and as part of a small team and also to work in close association with key agencies and individuals associated with trail development and tourism within a county
- A full current driving license and access to your own /private transport A flexible approach to working hours
- Willingness to undertake training in areas relevant to the post Knowledge and interest in natural heritage and environment and sustainability.
- Some experience knowledge in tourism marketing & product promotion
- Sufficient and adequate IT and computer skills to carry out the role and the various parts / aspects of the work. Experience in Geographic Information System (GIS) is desirable but not essential
For Full Job description email Brian@ldco.ie To apply email a letter of application and current CV, to Brian@ldco.ie by 5.00pm Wednesday 5th July 2023.
Shortlisting may apply.
Interviews expected to take place week commencing 10th July 2023 or shortly thereafter.
Leitrim Integrated Development Company CLG is committed to a policy of Equality of Opportunity in its employment practices.