Leitrim Development Company can provide support and guidance for people who are interested in starting their own business. These include
- One to one mentoring and advice to help you develop your idea into a viable business.
- Business planning and development.
- Marketing advice.
- Advice on legal and statutory obligations.
- Information on funding available for business start ups and expansion.
- Start your own business courses and other business related training.
- Local knowledge and advice on supports and networks.
- Assistance with applications for Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (implemented by LDC in partnership with Intreo).
Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (BTWEA) supports people to become self-employed. To qualify, you must be in receipt of one of the following payments for 9 months or more; Jobseeker's Allowance , Jobseeker's Benefit (with an underlying entitlement to Jobseeker's Allowance)*, One-Parent Family Payment, Blind Pension, Disability Allowance, Carer's Allowance (having stopped caring duties), Farm Assist, Invalidity Pension, Incapacity Supplement, Widow's/Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension or Illness Benefit for 3 or more years. If you qualify for BTWEA you can keep 100% of your social welfare payment for the first year of the business and 75% for the second year.
Short Term Enterprise Allowance (STEA) supports people who have recently become unemployed and wish to start their own business. To qualify you must be getting Jobseeker’s Benefit (JB). There is no qualifying period but you won't qualify if you're getting JB and working part-time.
The Enterprise Support Grant (ESG) runs in parallel to both BTWEA and STEA and provides up to €2500 while on BTWEA (pro-rate for STEA - up to €1000) .
To make an application for BTWEA/STEA the following is required
- Business Plan with minimum 1 year financial projections
- Register as self-employed (sole trader / limited company) with Revenue
- Completed BTWEA /STEA application form
- Complete a Start Your Own Business Course
- Confirmation of eligibility with Intreo
- LDC and Intreo must approve applications for both BTWEA and STEA before starting the business.
LDC can provide assistance with all of the above. For more information contact Liam O Brien on 071-9641770 ext. 206 or firstname.lastname@example.org